Tuesday, November 22, 2005

My Fall Comes Before My Drive

Of all the clever things to do last Saturday, I tripped on some stairs, fell, and sprained my right foot on the way back from the townhouses. One week before I was scheduled to take my driving test. You need to press the accelerator and brake with the right foot, so I panicked, how to take the driving test with a sprained foot??

Fortunately, it was not a major sprain, and the foot wasn't very swollen. I'm not a very good patient (I know, I know... :) and in spite of the pain, continued to hobble and limp about, in-between trying to remain chair-bound for the rest of the day. The next day (last Sunday), my foot still hurt in the morning when I limped. However, the pain slowly subsided, and by evening, I could walk about slowly with an occasional slight limp. Not too bad. On Monday, the pain had all but disappeared, except for a slight twinge every time I walked down any stairs. By Tuesday, the pain was totally gone, and I could even hop and skip without any problems. Thank goodness for the quick recovery.

So much for being 'graceful'... maybe I should change my name and start calling myself 'Klutz' instead. I've had my share of 'spectacular' falls the past few years. Like the time I slipped on a puddle while crossing a main road, and skidded across half the road (split-style, across 1.5 lanes, ouch), raking my knee in the process. Came out with a rather badly lacerated knee, but I was fortunate that it happened at night. Therefore, there weren't many cars driving on that road, so I didn't get run-over while stumbling across to the pavement...

Then there was the time I crossed the road to meet some friends, tripped on the road divider, and tumbled literally head over heels across the road. Once again, thank goodness it was night time, and there weren't any other cars driving along that road then. Emerged with nothing more than a bruised knee, bruised elbow, and bruised ego (so mah-lu [embarassing] but we had a good laugh at my expense... :)

This time, I was reminded of how fortunate I was again. Talked to mum that evening, and our conversation went something like this :
Me..... "Oh, mum, guess what? I sprained my foot."
Mum.. "How? What happened? Are you okay or not?"
Me..... "Yeah, I'm okay. I tripped on some stairs and fell."
Mum.. "How far did you fall? A flight of stairs?"
Me..... "No, 2 stairs"
Mum.. "2 flights of stairs?!"
Me..... "No, no, 2 steps..."

Thinking back, I'm thankful I only tripped on the 2nd last step, and not the 2nd step on the flight of stairs. Otherwise, a sprained foot may have been the least of my worries :) A friend of mine also fell down some stairs a few weeks back, and dislocated her shoulder when she landed. So I'm fortunate to escape with only a minor sprain, and at least I landed on my foot, not on my face... :)

Yes, I'm thankful for God's protection, and my foot is alright now. So I took my driving test on Saturday, and I ... passed!

I passed, I passed, I passed!! Woohoo!! :)

No more driving lessons, and no more need to suppress any smiles. Now, I can drive around with a manic grin on my face if I want (of course I wouldn't do that, but I could if I wanted to... :) What have they unleashed onto the road this time?? *diabolical laughter* :)

9 Comments:

Blogger daphne said...

and so.. i know who to look for when i need a ride... :p

10:41 AM  
Blogger GraceL said...

No problem... as long as you have insurance ;)
~grace

10:47 AM  
Blogger Dissociated Mind said...

Hahaa.. If u're talking about "klutz history", I think u've got a serious challenger in me. I've done the road thing (in skirt!!) and the entire flight of stairs thing twice, among other things! Congratulations girl! I'm glad u passed! :)

4:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats first for passing the driving test! ;-) Now roads in Adelaide are never gonna be as safe as it used to. Kekeke...

You are one blessed daughter. You know what my mum always say whenever I tell her about bruises or injuries??! "TAI LEI SEI" (Serve you right / Padan muka awak)
See what I mean?!

4:01 PM  
Blogger juanicths said...

woh~~ sounds like wat happened to me before, except that I twisted my ankle REAL bad and had to haf MC for an entire week, tho the visit to the sinseh helped a lot ^^ (tink that was ard the time I just started my blog too!)

congrats on passing, and do let me know when u are back in SG *hugs*

6:41 PM  
Blogger GraceL said...

Jenn : Looks like between the two of us, we can create falling history, maybe even break some records (not bones... ;)

Daryl : Yeah, I love my mum, she's the 'bestest best' :) Maybe if you try falling less often... ;)

Juanhui Mei : At least you got a whole week off from that, I still had to go back to work... :) Yeah, we'll meet up when I get back home!

10:07 AM  
Blogger Sher Sher said...

grace are you ok???

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeay~~~another crazy driver on the road...welcome to the club....i went back to the old post...and i cant stop laughing...even though i am in the computer pool with tons of strangers around me...they must think i have gone crazt after the exam, which i dont have...if only they knew...

9:40 AM  
Blogger GraceL said...

Sher : Hey, thanks for the concern... Yes, I'm alright. When's your graduation?

Ray : Ankle is okay, I can walk, and talk, and run, and jump... Didn't expect to see you here, ah... the interconnectivity of the Web :)

Anon : Glad you enjoyed it... Don't worry, we're all a crazy bunch, join the club :)

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home