Monday, September 05, 2005

Driven

Apart from driving the car, I think I'm driving my driving instructor crazy...

Take today's lesson as an example. While attempting a U-turn in traffic,


AAAAHHHHHH!!!!!
I mentally screamed while frantically turning the steering wheel, narrowly missing the curb.
Laughing at myself for freaking out over a simple maneuver, I smiled.
"Why are you grinning? What's funny?" my instructor asked
"Nothing..." I'd been told to show confidence when driving.
He didn't know that laughter is my medicine for stress, and I couldn't really tell him that I'd actually freaked out.
"Don't grin, other drivers will think that you're laughing at them." he said.
"Okay," I looked ahead and attempted another U-turn in traffic. I found a gap in the on-coming traffic and pressed the accelerator.


AAAAAHHHHH!!!!!
I mentally screamed, again, quickly turning the steering wheel and accelerating away, not wanting to collide with the approaching cars.
I imagined how he'd react if I really freaked out in the car, and if he'd known what really went on behind the calm face.
Amused, I tried to suppress a smile, but slowly, the corners of my lips started curving upward.
"Don't grin, I told you," he reminded me.
"Alright," but the smile just grew wider.
"You're not taking this seriously are you? You find driving funny? Try not to grin"
"I do take it seriously..." I took a deep breath, and held a straight face for several seconds.
But by then, I was so tickled, I couldn't help myself. My lips twitched.
"Don't grin..." he said
"..." I bit my lip and struggled not laugh.
"Don't grin."
"..."
"Don't..."
"..." I couldn't hold it in any longer.
This time, I broke into a grin from ear to ear.
He groaned.
"I take it seriously, really... hee hee... *sigh*..." but the harder I tried, the harder it was not to smile.
Both of us gave up, and I continued driving with a little smile on my face. It's just one of those days...


I think I'm naturally talented at discrediting myself :)


At least he signed off the "U-turn in traffic" and a few other tasks on my task-list, commenting that they were "quite good", which nearly triggered another laugh. If he'd really known how I'd freaked out during those turns, he may have considered it twice...

So, as usual, I tell myself that next week, I have to improve.
I have to convince him that I'm a competent driver.
And now I also have to convince him that I'm not one of those air-headed girls who giggles at anything.

Can't wait for the day that I get my license...

4 Comments:

Blogger Dissociated Mind said...

lol! I remember freaking out the first time my instructor told me to sit in the driver's seat. I squeaked, "what?? I drive???"

And ppl would wonder what I actually expected when I enrolled for driving lessons... hehehe

All the best in yours!

12:23 AM  
Blogger daphne said...

yo! Sounds like a great lesson to me. :p Well, dont worry, i think it sounded like u did well.

Besides, u r right.. laughter is the best medicine =)

take care babe.

5:16 PM  
Blogger Shel said...

Reading this post made me smile, as I grinned when you grinned, and tried to stop smiling when you tried to and like you, felt my smile grow bigger until I was literally giggling like an immature kid. Thanks for making me smile.. you bring sunshine, girl.

5:36 PM  
Blogger June said...

haha.. ur post sounds so funny! hope u pass soon!

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home