Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Grass Withers and The Flowers Fall


Had a short vacation with the family. A time to unwind and refresh. An escape to a place far from where I was, to clear my mind of the things that had been cluttering it here.

Spent more than a week without any internet access, nor mobile phones during that time as well. Remaining uncontactable, and contacting no one.

An unforgettable stop at Stonehenge left me standing there temporarily. Partially in awe, and partially in disbelief that I was staring at its remains. Peering into a different world... and wondering what had become of it.

A whole thriving civilization that was eventually wiped out, leaving no written traces of their history, of their lives, or why they had built such a structure.

"why?... Why?? " ... The commentary echoed in my ear.

No one knows. Even archaeologists can only make a guess.

An existence so ephemeral.

2 hours later that same day, we arrived in a different civilization... London, 2009. A place buzzing with people, cars, and life. Such contrast. But a scene just as evanescent.

Life is short. Live it.
Live it Fulfillingly.
Live it Fruitfully.
Live it Fully.
But remember why we live it.
..

For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God.
For,
"All men are like grass,
and all their glory is like the flowers of the field;
the grass withers and the flowers fall,
but the word of the Lord stands forever."
And this is the word that was preached to you.
- 1 Peter 1 : 23 - 25

And not surprisingly, the travel-bug bit once more too. More deeply this time...

But for now, I need to concentrate on writing again, something that I need to finish first.

In the meantime, my heart is growing restless... and
tugs at its tethers...
with a desire to discover more places and explore more faces..
.


5 Comments:

Blogger dan said...

Hi Grace,

[Ah, that pesky travel bug]

What is the nature of your writing (novel, journalistic pieces...), if I may ask? Or is it a thesis?

You've mentioned it several times but not knowing you very well I can only guess what it is that you write about...

Daniel C

11:00 PM  
Blogger GraceL said...

Heya Daniel :)

Yes, that pesky travel bug :) always stirs the wandering spirit in me... Not a good thing when I'm supposed to be at home concentrating on my work :P

I'm working on writing and editing my PhD thesis, and the process has taken a fair bit longer than expected... not as exciting as novels :)

Hope you've been well? :)

5:35 AM  
Blogger dan said...

Yeah I'm doing ok. Not doing a PhD though, just work work work. Hopefully that yields big time to the travel bug at some point.

12:08 AM  
Blogger GraceL said...

At least work would provide some of the 'funding' needed for travelling :)

Heard that you went for a hike recently, so, yielded to the travel bug? Heh :) How was the trip?

9:02 PM  
Blogger dan said...

Yeah me and my cousin went bushwalking in south west tassie. No choice but to yield as my cousin more or less tells me he's coming to trek with me no matter what. I'll upload pics when I can get around to it.

We saw no one else the entire trip. Several thousand do the South Coast Track in Summer each year; probably no more than a dozen attempt it in winter on average.

It was extremely wet (heaps of rain here lately) which means extremely muddy and not a day without rain. Quite scary in places. I never knew that creeks and rivulets could be so scary to cross.

Despite this, it was still very beautiful and we saw several full bright rainbows almost every day whereas there were none in summer when we walked it. At one point on a long stretch of beach, there was a rainbow in view, a southerly gale (nothing between us and Antarctica), small icy pebbles of hail were raining on us and the sun was shining brightly... all at the same time. Typical Tasmania, I guess you could say :)

Haha well one does need funds to travel and work => funds. My current work doesn't allow me any more time off for a while though, unfortunately. I'll figure out something devious, though.

1:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home