Friday, October 20, 2006

Moving on

While filming a nature documentary several months ago, Steve Irwin ('The Crocodile Hunter') was killed in an accident by a large stingray, when its barb pierced straight through his heart.

Many people mourned the loss of this enthusiastic (and somewhat enigmatic) animal conservationist, who had actively promoted animal conservation, preservation of the environment, and public education on these issues.

So, it was with frustration and a sense of irony that I read about some angry fans who went to hunt down and kill stingrays, in a bid to 'avenge' his death.

I'd like to smack them with a dead stingray... Maybe then, the irony will hit them. They're killing the very animals he was trying to save.

Steve taught people to overcome their fear of many of these 'dangerous' creatures, and helped people to develop a fascination for them. However, his death has also shown that this fascination should be mixed with a healthy dose of respect too, for these animals aren't always the warm and cuddly creatures that we'd like to imagine them to be, and there's a reason why they should always be approached with care.

On the other hand, Bindi Irwin, his 7 year old daughter, is following in his footsteps and starring in a wildlife
documentary, to continue promoting wildlife conservation :

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061017/ap_en_tv/people_bindi_irwin

Once again, I'm reminded how resilient children can be. Isn't it also ironic how some children seem to show more maturity than their 'adult' counterparts...

Bindi, I salute you. May you continue your father's legacy in promoting animal conservation, pursue your passions, and never lose your original outlook on life. I just hope that the media won't try to exploit you as a publicity stint in all this.

And I'll be keeping an eye out for the release of that documentary series.

~~~


On another note, I was strolling back to the labs from the cafeteria on Tuesday evening, when I paused along the path, and watched the clouds as they floated by in the distance.

Closing my eyes, I felt the gentle brush of the breeze against my face. The wind was warm, humid, with a hint of coolness, and carried the faint smell of rain. There's something about the smell of rain that I've always found soothing... Perhaps it's a reminder of the times back home, when I used to fall asleep to the smell of rain, lulled by the gentle and steady rhythm of raindrops pattering on the windows.

The warm humid wind reminded me of the weather back home, and I could almost picture myself back in Singapore, standing at the balcony window, watching the children play along the footpath that led to the market nearby. And a small wave of home-sickness washed over me...

I've confirmed my flights. Will be flying back on 21st Dec, in time for Yiwen's wedding, for Arthur's birthday, and...

I'll be home for Christmas.

2 more months to go...

~~~

Upon Janice's request, I've also uploaded the photos of last Sunday's Convention fundraiser at Edwardstown Baptist Church here in this link.

Like Sumi said, photographs often bring back fond memories of fun and enjoyment. I think that's one of the reasons why I enjoy being a 'self-designated photographer'. That, and the fact that I'm just trigger-happy most of the time :)


*Click* :)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

don we all just love the smell of rain.... aaahhh.. something we hardly smell in adelaide.

n i love it more when it happens at night or morning.. gives me a nice feeling..

8:02 PM  
Blogger GraceL said...

Yeah, I agree... I love to snuggle under the blankets on a cool rainy night :)

Rainy mornings are great too, unless you've got to go up to uni later ;)

6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home