Friday, September 15, 2006

Be Careful What You Ask For

Last week, I found that I was not only double-booked, but 'triple-booked', for three different events which were scheduled at the same time last night, and which could not be changed nor postponed.

Throughout the week, I thought fervently, 'I want very much to go for all 3, why did they all have to fall on the same night? Why did I have to choose one?

If only I didn't have to choose!'

So, after many heated internal debates that week, I came down with a bad sore throat and fever yesterday afternoon, went home early at 4 pm, took an aspirin, and was knocked out cold for the rest of the night.
Therefore, in one fevered-night, I missed :

1) A talk by Dr. David T. Suzuki (Canadian geneticist, science broadcaster, and environmental geneticist). After waiting 3 months in anticipation, and booking seats 1 month in advance. How rare is it that an eminent scientist comes over to Australia, and how much rarer is it that they'd come to quiet Adelaide to give a talk?

2) A gathering with several good friends, whom I haven't had the chance to properly catch up with for a long time. Although we see one another around sometimes, we're often busy or distracted by other things. Therefore, an opportunity to spend good quality time with friends, away from our 'busy-ness', is something that I treasure.

3) A performance by reknowned multi-instrumentalist James Morrison at the Edge Conference, after waiting for nearly a year, and whose concerts and performances I've missed twice already. Now I'll probably have to wait another year again.

AHHHHHHHH!!!

But, in the end, I didn't have to choose after all...

I'm sure I'll see the humour in this... once the fog in my head clears a little, and once I get over the initial 'multi-disappointment' (from missing not just 1, but 3 events... :)

So yes, be careful what you ask for, you just might get it ... :)

~~~
p.s. I called to make an appointment to see the Uni doctors, and was told they had no free slots till Monday (?!) Which is 3 days away, and by which time I'll be either much better or dead... So till then, I'll be pumping myself with aspirin and strepsils, and contributing to a chemist/pharmacist's profits.

Wouldn't it be funny if those were the very things that the doctors prescribe to me on Monday?

2 Comments:

Blogger Dissociated Mind said...

You know, maybe it is psychosomatic. Either your body was so stressed from the difficult decision making that you got sick; OR you getting sick is a mechanism to avoid making a decision. *laughs* But what do I know? ;)

2:14 PM  
Blogger GraceL said...

Jenn, if I fell ill each time I had to make a decision, I'd be sneezing my head off non- stop... :) But interesting, never thought of it that way :)

Peiyan, I'm much better now, thanks :) You take care too, sounds like the weather is crazy all the way in the other half of the world too :)

5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home