Tuesday, July 31, 2007

In the Corner of a Fridge

While cataloguing some chemicals in our laboratory (for the upcoming chemical risk assessment), we found an old box of chemicals in an 'abandoned' corner of one of the fridges.

Wondering what they were, I took out one of the bottles, wrote down the chemical's name, then turned the bottle and saw the purchase date...

' July 1978 '

Took out another bottle ... 'Nov 1978 ' .

Gaahhh! They're even older than me !!

So, we didn't have to catalogue that box of chemicals ... They went straight for disposal :)

Goodness... the things you find in fridge corners... heh. At least there wasn't any rogue mold or fungi growing there :)

Now, just a few more chemicals left to catalogue, and we'll be all done. The risk assessment preparations are so time-consuming, we'll be really glad when it's over!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey grace! lol..u shuda kept the chemicals.. as a .. antique?? lol..

how r u?? haven't seen u in yonks. :) i'm alright over here..

i've changed my blog layout and hmm, maybe now i've regretted changing it. lol. but oh well.. it's like plain now

eli xoxo

8:19 AM  
Blogger daphne said...

hehe.. I had the same problem in the lab at Murdoch too.. As I'm doing psychophysiology work, there are some old chemicals in the fridge- dated back early 90s (so not as bad as yours!)... My lab mate n I promptly discard them. I dont think our supervisor even noticed..... scary stuff huh.


I will prob not be back in SG this Christmas. Will be aiming to finish my thesis then. Will try to back for CNY (and be free as a bird.... before being jail as an employee. ;p)

9:19 PM  
Blogger GraceL said...

Eli,
heh, that's a good idea, but if we kept the chemicals, we'd have to catalogue them, too much trouble for expired antiques ;)

We've got enough antiques in the department already anyway... have I shown you our 'first-generation microwave' yet? :)

Daph,
yeah, it's scary how no one realises until muuuuuch later :) Hope the writing goes well, you'll be free from uni soon!

2:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home