Sunday, May 08, 2005

Spoil-Sport :)

I don't want to be a spoil-sport (pun intended :), but it wasn't such a bad thing that yesterday' OCF sports day was cancelled (due to double bookings of the sports halls). Just as well for me, in my life, the words 'Grace' and 'Sports' don't usually go together very well... :)

Instead, we held auditions for OCF E-nite, which was good, because it meant that most people had already freed up that day. It was very heartening to see so many enthusiastic volunteers who were willing to commit their time and energy into the event. Everyone was sporting, and also encouraged one another throughout the auditions. The acting and singing tryouts were really fun to watch, and it's amazing how talented some of the people are. It was also encouraging to see how some people were just willing to give the auditions a shot, even though they occasionally protested that they had no 'real talent'. To me, if they're willing to put their best effort forth, then it doesn't matter whether or not they sound like Celine Dion or Josh Groban. (coming from someone who can't sing well anyway, and everyone who has played 'bluff' or 'murderer' or 'mafia' with me knows that I can't act either ... :). It's the willingness in their hearts to try, and to commit, that matters most.

Among the volunteers, there were many 'new' faces, as well as people I'd met and gotten to know only this year. Having been in Flinders Uni for 4 1/2 years already, I often joke with many friends about being one of the 'oldies' (more fondly known as 'dinosaurs') here :), or that I feel old whenever I talk to the new students (especially when they ask me how long I've been here... argh...). Honestly, although the occasional reminiscent pang strikes me, especially when I watch old friends graduate and return home, I always feel optimistic when I get to know new faces in the crowd. Infected by their enthusiasm, creativity, and energy, I too am energized, and it fills me with hope to know that OCF (and my other affiliations) will continue to live on through them. Not just to continue, but hopefully to grow as well. Which is one of the beauties of being an 'old-timer'. It fills me with joy to be a part of their lives, to learn with and from them, and to see them grow and mature physically, emotionally, spiritually, and mentally.

Yes, I'm heartened and encouraged to see the response.

New faces,
new talents,
new promise,
new hope.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home