Saturday, April 16, 2005

Update

Yes, I've returned to Adelaide, and am currently in the process of figuring out the direction that my new PhD project should take (which depends on which of the preliminary experiments I carry out actually work).
Not many things have changed since last year, I'm still living in the same place, using the same phone number, same phone, working under the same supervisor, in the same lab... But some things have changed too. Most of my friends have graduated and gone home or overseas to work, and the close group of buddies I used to hang out with at uni have all gone back to their different home countries. I've also met and gotten to know groups of new first-year uni 'fresh-ies'. Although we still keep in touch, I miss my friends and the times we shared, but we all have to move on, and I hope for the best for them. Things are still the same, and yet they're different.
It's strange. I've gone through 4 years of shuttling between Singapore and Adelaide. After returning to Adelaide from my visit back home in Singapore, the transition back to life in Adelaide gets easier and quicker each year... but each year, the feeling of homesickness kicks in much faster after I arrive in Adelaide. Now, just 2 months after starting experiments, I'm already looking forward to the day that I can graduate and return home (which could be between 3 to 5 years from now...how am I going to last?!). Who knew? Back when I first arrived here 4 years ago, I'd never have expected myself be so eager to return home.
I guess it goes to show that people do change, and maybe leopards can change their spots after all... :)

But one thing hasn't seemed to change... I still need more sleep...

1 Comments:

Blogger SM said...

Grace, finally, a post. =)

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home