Thursday, February 10, 2005

Hatch-day and the Year of the Chicken

Thanks all, for the Birthday greetings, well-wishes, and prezzies. You've brought a big smile to my face :)
Can't believe I've been on the earth for 23 years already...

This year, my birthday falls on the 2nd day of the Lunar new year (year of the Chicken). When I was 12, both my birthday and the 1st day of the Chinese New Year (year of the Dog) fell on the same day.
There are a few pros and cons to having a birthday so close to Chinese New Year. It's difficult to get a birthday cake, and we often have to order one in advance, because most cake shops are closed from the 1st to 4th days of the lunar new year. And any feeble suggestions (from me) about not getting a cake are always vetoed by my mum, so we end up cake-hunting every year (which is quite fun anyway).

But the pros far outweigh the cons. (1) We get to have one big celebration with family for both occasions.
(2) During Chinese new year, emphasis is placed on the family, as well as spending time with those we love... I guess it's an appropriate time to celebrate the anniversary of my arrival into this world, of being surrounded by those who love me and who watched me as I grew... sharing my life with all the people whom I love and care for.
(3) It's smattered with public holidays and weekends, so there are more opportunities and excuses to go out to celebrate with friends and family :)
(4) I may occassionally get one relatively large money packet :)
(5) I get the chance to reflect on my life while travelling from one relative's/friend's place to another.
(6) And little morsels of wisdom you pick up when visiting others. Advice on how to live life, trivia on cholesterol levels and drugs, tips on how to minimise points in Gin Rummy, and a quote from someone close :

"... find out which tidbits are good and which are not, then eat those that are really nice. Why get fat because of things that are not worth getting fat on?"

Throwing the quote around in my head on the journey home, it also struck me that her 'words of wisdom' could be applied to life. Our energy and time should be spent on things and people in life that matter to us. Why waste our precious life, time, and energy on activities or matters that are destructive to us, or that would make absolutely no difference or significance to our lives or the lives of others? Life is short, and our existence on earth is only transient. We should concentrate our energy on the things and people we love, to make the most of our lives, to live life to the fullest, and bring joy to our hearts and to the lives of others. That would be one of my life's resolutions.

Sounds rather challenging and intimidating, but maybe I'll take a little advice from Charlie Brown :
"I used to try to take each day as it came... my philosophy has changed... I'm down to half-a-day at a time!"
- Peanuts' Little Book of Life (Thanks, Ad, for the book! :)

I'll try to take things one step at a time :)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey dearie! happy belated birthday!!! *muahz* hee hee, i don't think u can figure out who i'm but ya, i'm still supposed 2 meet up with ya b4 i fly. back to adelaide. xian. u get the pic. :) u comin bk? pls say yessssssss....k lah, shall stop terrorizing u here...maybe send u an email later...kk...take care 'ya? god bless *hugz*

11:50 PM  
Blogger GraceL said...

Hmmm... I've got my suspicions :) I'll email you, k?

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home