Saturday, January 29, 2005

Spring Special @ Kranji

Farmstays in Australia are extremely popular among tourists. Who would've thought that farm visits here in Singapore would have been such a hit with the locals too? That's what I found out today, when I hopped onto the free loop-bus service between Boon Lay and Kranji MRT, to visit 8 different farms in suburban North-Western Singapore.

Interested in exploring Singapore's lesser-known countryside and farmland, I recalled the last time I'd visited the area, which was during a primary school tour to an aeroponics farm. However, this time, I could not shake off the feeling that I was still haunted by a busy city-life. Perhaps it was because we were driving through the rustic countryside in an air-conditioned bus with plush carpeted seats. Maybe it was sitting in the bus, jam-packed with other Singaporeans chattering loudly in a variety of languages and dialects. Or the couple seated in front of me, poring through a newspaper advertisement and exclaiming loudly "Watsons got sale! Must go after this!". Perhaps it was the kid seated behind me, playing his electronic hand-held game (which was emitting a sharp and repetitive 'beep blip blap'. Hypnotism in the making... ). Or the sight of a wild chicken running across the entrance of a large industrial factory, which hatched thoughts of 'why did the chicken cross the road?' (thoughts that I instantly suppressed with a cringe). Or the observed absence of any fellow 12 to 30 year-olds at the farms. Maybe it was the couple standing next to me at a farm, complaining noisily that neither bench nor shade was provided for them to rest while waiting for the loop bus (at which I thought: For goodness sakes, you chose to visit a farm, not a shopping centre...). Or the sight of several housewives lugging huge bags of vegetables and fish, chirping, "Wah! So cheeap!". Perhaps it was the sound of Britney Spears and Ricky Martin, blasting from speakers at one of the horticultural farms in an attempt to attract visitors (Argh, it actually repelled this one! Oops, she did it again...)

But there were also many unforgettable moments, sights (and sounds) that brought a smile to my face. The regal sight of a purple heron poised gracefully beside a stream. The innocent and fascinated looks on childrens' faces as they eagerly reached out to pat a kid (baby goat). The taste of fresh wheatgrass juice (I'm not a big fan of it, but the freshly-extracted version was uniquely refreshing). The toothy grin of a lean and muscular man, as he clubbed the head of a struggling fish while posing for a camera shot (*shudder*). The sweet sight of a beautiful blue-streaked butterfly from the bus window, and the equally sweet voice of a little girl behind me exclaiming to her mother, "Mummy, look, butterfly!". The family of four, squatting silently in a corner, sharing a meal of sausage rolls and goat's milk, savouring the surrounding tranquility.
And a conversation I overheard on the loop bus :

Auntie #1 (to the bus driver) : Hallo! This the last stop, har?
Bus Driver : No, one more stop, then I drive to MRT
Auntie #2 : Hah?? Last stop Ah ?
Bus Driver : No, not last stop, one more stop, then I go MRT.
Auntie #3 : Oh no! Last stop?! Then how?! You got go MRT or not??
Bus Driver : SIGH

I could not help but sympathise with the bus driver (and turn away to hide my amused grin). Typical of many Singaporeans, blind to the beauty of the countryside, deaf to the words of a bus-driver. Thankfully, there were others who dispelled my skeptical thought. Like the mother, with a child-like gleam in her eyes, telling her son to be gentle as he stroked a young goat, then reaching out tentatively to give it a quick pat too.
Intangible experiences I could not capture on film. Moments like these that made the experience an enjoyable and unforgettable one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home