Sunday, February 20, 2005

Feeling Hot, Hot, Hot...

It's so hot... I've been drowning myself with cold and iced drinks the past week. And the current heat-wave is reported to last till the end of the month, at the earliest *groan*. Spoke to a security guard a few days ago, and she commented that 'the weather has gone crazy.' I agree, it's gone haywire... It's also rather worrying how Singapore has suffered from so many recent bushfires in spite of the high humidity here. Is the haze an indication of just how hot it's getting?

And still, so many countries choose to opt out or refuse to abide by the Kyoto treaty (to reduce greenhouse gas emissions). Their justifications sound childish (if Country X doesn't abide by it, we won't either), selfish (the effects are not as bad here as in Country Y), money-driven (cutting greenhouse gasses is not profitable for the economy), and short-sighted (we won't be as badly affected as those in the future, they're the ones who will suffer, so let them deal with it then). Argh... so much for countries like US and China setting a global example for other countries. At least Japan, one of the major energy consumers, is still making a commendable effort in keeping to the Kyoto treaty. I'm trying not to winge, but it's really frustrating reading about the lack of progress in that direction. At this rate, most of their money will eventually go into running cooling systems to stave off the heat...
Hm... Maybe we could also turn to alternative fuel sources, such as developing clean fuels from leftover Chinese New Year Foods (or their decomposition...). I'd be more than willing to donate our household's leftovers to anyone who would like to experiment with such an idea (and also be entitled to a portion of the IP from such an innovation, thank you :) Especially mandarin oranges... I think I've seen, smelled, and tasted enough of mandarin oranges to last me a whole year... :)

Maybe the heat is the cause of this nagging headache I've been suffering from for the past week. It's not an intense pain like a migraine, just a perpetual irritating ache at the side of my head, which reminds me of the large flies in Adelaide that refuse to stop buzzing around your face...

Or maybe I've got a headache from relaxing too much (which my family suggested, but I doubt so). My body has never refused or rebelled against a chance to rest. Since returning, I've been trying to enjoy a decidedly leisurely holiday (punctuated by a number of gatherings, meetings and errands), before I have to return to work. So much so that I've (finally) been recognised as a 'slacker' by my relatives (but I probably can't beat 'Slacker Wong' in that area... :) Still, I should make the most of this chance to grab enough rest, before I have to return to my usual sleep-deprived state when I start working again.

Before I start to 'feel the heat' in another aspect of my life... :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home